Wednesday, July 15, 2015

Special Delivery!

So testing is always fun. Especially when you've finished unspoiler-i-fying Open Beta 3 and do a little test run of the first couple maps and wait- frickin' I forgot to tag the doorframe 'lower unpegged' again!

Still, I feel it's playable as a beta.

Behold! Fifteen days after my self-imposed deadline, I give you... Open Beta 3!

Link and instructions after the break!




I have decided that it will be easiest to keep it as a downloadable .zip file, so find that here:
Open Beta 3.zip

When that unzips, you should see something like this:

I've included zdoom 2.7.0 (because that's what I playtested on), but you can get 2.7.1 from the ZDoom website if you really want an update (none of the updated features are used, though, so it's probably not worth it). Open Beta 3 should work as a pwad for any zdoom-based port, though, so if you want to run it on gzdoom or zandronum or some other port you totally should and tell me if it works.

If you just want to play the game, read on.
Click Open Beta 3.wad, and, while holding down ctrl, click on rarimusic.pk3, and then drag both of them on top of zdoom.exe.
If you just double-click on zdoom, you'll be playing Chex Quest 3. Which, to be honest,
is actually really good for a shareware cereal commercial.

Open Beta 3 is the .wad where all the data is, and rarimusic.pk3 is the music I've chosen for the game. I've tried to strike a balance between typical "brony music" and the rock motifs of the original DooM, but... let's just say I might be adjusting the balance a bit in episode 4.

It should open and play right away (if you have installed this to a folder with other wads, use chex3 as your IWAD; otherwise the sprites break on the death animations). The default zdoom behavior is to launch the game full-screen and for some reason that took a while to load when I tested it, but it does work.

The next thing you should do (after admiring the titlepic which is totally not the same as the one in Open Beta 2) is adjust your controls.

  1. Press Escape (or any key) to bring up the main menu.
  2. Go to Options (you can use keyboard or mouse for this)
  3. Go to Customize Controls (first option)
  4. Make sure you have an option for jump and crouch (some levels have been designed with them in mind)
Jump is highlighted; crouch is right below it.
      5.  Press Escape to get out of the menu.

I've also found it helpful to go to Hud options (right above Miscellaneous options in step 2 above) and set a crosshair (third option; first blue option). If that bothers you, the weapon will generally fire at the center of the screen (doom aims up and down automatically) so just face your enemy head-on.

Now for the rest of the stuff in the download:
Changeling pack.wad is a wad with just the changeling sprites, so if you wanted to play, I dunno, freedoom but with changelings, you totally could. Just drag and drop changeling pack.wad onto zdoom.exe and when it asks you to select the IWAD choose Doom2 (or whichever you want to play).
chex3.wad is the IWAD needed to play, so if you delete that, raridoom won't run.
fmodex.dll is the file zdoom needs to play music, so only delete that if you like silent games.
licenses.zip is the licenses file, obviously.
more credits.txt is a list of where I got the banners and music and such, complete with links, so go check out the originals.
zdoom.pk3 is a configuration file for zdoom.

That's about it, I think. Download, enjoy, and comment any bugs or mistakes!

22 comments:

  1. Just finished E3 on "There will be Blood". Is it weird that I found it to be easier than I expected it too?

    Nice mod by the way. I liked the E3 secret level in particular :).

    But now I'm curious...what didn't you put in?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No; it just tells me I have a little tweaking to do on level difficulty. :-) Thanks for your input!
      Thanks! I had fun with them.
      Well, it's not so much didn't get in as didn't get done. There's all of episode four left to do, with two bosses in particular in mind. I also feel that some of the later levels got a little blander in terms of wall decorations and textures. There's also a few sounds for certain enemies that I haven't done yet. Also the player sprites haven't been done yet.
      But other than that, I'd say most of it is complete.

      Delete
    2. So, wait, will there be a story? Because I played... beta 2, I think? And there was no real story (as in, no intermissions).

      Delete
    3. More or less. John D. Carmack said a story in a game is "...expected to be there, but it's not that important." There are intermissions and the interpics should tell you something. I'm also trying my hand at skippable cutscenes towards the end. Maybe one or two. Like to introduce bosses and such.

      Delete
    4. Hey, let me make a Gameplay with this version, you let me?

      Delete
    5. @Samuel You mean like a let's play? Go for it! Send me a link if you do.

      Delete
    6. Is only a Gameplay of my custom WADS series. but if you want can make a Let's play, i am a hispanic man because my form to pronounce the words is very bad. The link is here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gCZrqEroQtI&
      And comment the video if you like :)

      Delete
  2. in e3m7, couldn't use second elevator trigger
    spiderdemon sprite in changeling pack, shooting frame, doesn't load

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did a quick playthrough of E3M7 and couldn't find which one you referred to; which switch was it? The one switch high up on the wall past the blue door?
      Gah... I must have forgotten to transfer the decorate definitions... I'll fix that, thanks.

      Delete
    2. The switch near the slime works. I was wrong, though, about the one triggered by going backwards through corridor with pods: it rises a bit so it just needs player to jump.

      Delete
  3. I tried the changeling pack a few days ago. The line "Can't go this way" sounds different from Open Beta 3.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was wondering if anyone would notice that! She sent me a couple different versions and I wanted to randomize them like the pain sounds, but I couldn't get it to work.

      Delete
  4. So where was HRD01? Did the color pallets and textures not match or did the level give too much items? You should also use the color pallet from HRD25.wad since it makes green colors look nice and matches the fan art.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It seemed like a good starting map, so it's going in the beginning of Episode 4. I've actually had all of Episode 3's maps designed for a few months; they just needed a little touching-up.
      I didn't even look at the pallette. I'll have to check that out. How does the purple look?

      Delete
    2. I used gzdoom then the Rarity sprite looked nice since png is loaded without color pallets. There was also a problem with the pallet where light brown is black so you might have to fix that. I replaced the default pallet and it worked well except for black dots causing a messed up bonbon sprite. I don't know but completely changing colors from the color pallet might mess up the non-png sprites
      btw:
      Horsemeat Raridoom was suppose to be a brutal doom-ish mod but I gave up f*cked it up with Higgins. We both used XWE and Doom Builder 2 (same thing terry used, but no, i'm not terry) So I changed the green in the color pallet then made HRD01 with the ceiling crystals. Higgens did the rest while purposely misspelling his name. Before all this, i made the TerrySpell weapon in the lump FAGGOTEG which went unnoticed but makes a sfw twilight plot that moves around and does terry stuff. I would also appreciate it if you put the terry spell as an easter egg since the name of the lump ment FAGGOT EGGS.

      and yes XWE is very old, crashed a lot, but it works on linux wine.

      Delete
    3. Yeah, I tried to play it completely blind.
      I've heard of someone playing it with ketchup and having a great time with that. I think Rarity-specific changeling finishes (forcing one to model, for example) would be hilarious; but I'm just that bad at spriting.

      Easter egg, you say? I'll try it.
      https://youtu.be/ZsovgLn97gg

      If I missed something else, let me know!

      Delete
  5. More people is downloading your project for my video! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I must admit, while I greatly enjoy Raridoom I am not that savvy with ZDooM [I BARELY know enough to use ZDL though]. There seem to be multiplayer capabilities, but I am unsure of how to set them up. If it's not too much trouble would you mind instructing me how? (unless they're not possible for Raridoom?)

    ~Kachu1_1

    ReplyDelete
  7. when i try to play e4m1... it goes to console and says "couldnt find E4M1" help please

    ReplyDelete