Friday, October 11, 2013

State of the Mod

The US Government may be shut down, but I am not!

...well, after that NDFS test, I probably should stop modding and just study, but I'm not. Hey, I've never claimed to be good at decision-making.

Anyway... After the break, there's a little update on the mod, the sprites, and a little bit of everything, just to show I'm not dead. And if you haven't voted on the gibs thing yet and you want to, I just extended the poll time.




Maps are done up to E2M4, including secret levels. I've been finding some great music... now I just hope I can make the levels cool enough to match.

I've also been working on the changeling pack, a PWAD that will be able to replace everything in DooM or Doom II with changelings and such. For some reason, it was pretty inspiring. I even redid the Trixie sprites finally, including a new death sequence.

I realized that some of the sprites wouldn't copy over very well, since I decided to not do anything with DECORATE (meaning I won't change the monsters' behavior or number of frames; it's just DooM with changelings. The only change I've made is in the names, and in the Lost Soul/Fluffy pony death, because lost souls usually vanish when you kill them, but I've always wanted to see how many of those stupid buggers I've killed so I gave them their own death sprites). I've moved the behemoth (raridoom revenant) to the Knight position (the revenant has one more walking frame and like I said, I didn't want to change it), and I intend to add new sprites exclusive to this pack for the revenant (Colgate) and the mancubus (I got nothing; feel free to leave a suggestion). Everything else I should have covered, though.

But as I've been working on this pack, I got to thinking. It's fairly small and smooth, unlike raridoom, which has duplicate code, things replacing things replacing things, and lots of repeating textures. I've learned a lot from when I started. The next game like this I do, it will be a lot smoother and better.
And yes, I have other ideas...

On an unrelated side note, when the zdoom wiki says you should code "pic" for the states of a new switch, actually listen; don't assume you need to put "texture" instead. Otherwise you might waste a frustrating half an hour wondering why your switch won't change.

1 comment:

  1. Sweet man good to here about the progress and that your improving, keep it up!
    ~Vandanator

    ReplyDelete