Thursday, May 23, 2013

Level-building video...

And my microphone is working again! And then I decided not to post it... yet... Just click the page break, I explain it better there.



Good news: I finished the video and built the level from sketch to finished product, barring a few enemies and an easter egg (where's the fun in finding them if I have to show you where they are?)

Bad news: I did it all in one run, and I blabbed on and screwed up a few times, and now the video's over an hour long and about two gigs in size. I know I wouldn't want to watch me work or listen to me talk for an hour... Besides, I don't think my computer is powerful enough to render the whole video anyway (you've seen the crappy quality of my playtest videos).

So should I try to upload the whole tutorial/demonstration thing, or not? Either way, down there I've uploaded the playtest (complete with errors). Playtest one came out really blurry, so I redid it, and this time there were no errors. I even cleared the trap with the blue key without taking damage, which surprised me (my first time, I dropped from 101% to 41% health, and that was with a lot of armor on).

As promised, this is E2M3.

First, the sketch. If you want to send me map ideas, this is what I'm looking for. Simple diagrams, labeled.
 

Then this is what I turn it into. The green stuff is slime, the little red circles with arrows are enemies. Or just watch the playtest video linked below in a new tab and try to follow along. You start at the green circles.
 
 
And how does it play?
 
As of right now, like this
 
Now it's not 100% done--I still need to add a few more decorations, wall textures, and monsters, for example--but this is basically what E2M3 will look like in the final game.
 
...actually, it might need a cacodemon or two. But yeah. Something like this.

2 comments:

  1. Ok sweet, so you want us to send you Map ideas via a sketch as demonstrated... i believe that's possible :p. Do you want us to post it here or?
    ~Vandanator

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Email or imgur link or whatever you can think of. Surprise me!

      Delete